Friday, December 9, 2011

My Parelli Journey: from New Zealand to Pagosa! By Antoinette Archer.



It all started with a phone call at 4 am in the morning … as I rubbed my eyes trying to comprehend what I was hearing … “this is Ryan Rose from Parelli, do you know who I am?” hmmm I must be dreaming!! I wasn’t …. I was one lucky girl to be given the opportunity of a lifetime and my dream for many years to go to the source – to Pat & Linda Parellis’ ranch in Pagosa Springs to attend a Fast Track. It all happened so fast, without warning but of course I embraced it. As I approached the ranch I saw the symbol that we have learned to love, how unbelievable … I was really there. People call this the Gateway to Horsemanship.
The ranch was everything that I expected and more. Check in was full of many excited people and horses coming from afar. In the August fast track there were about 35 people and 15 were internationals. I am very lucky to have met many new Parelli friends from all over the globe.
Our head instructor was Ryan Rose, he was assisted by Australia’s own Tanya Bennett and Bonnie McIntyre. Each had their own style and experiences but each one of them made us all feel so welcomed and helped and challenged us during our Savvy stay.
I had a wonderful lease horse, Caballero, a nine year old Arab – I have added him to Parelli Connect so if you want to see our journey together. He was such a wonderful, super athletic horse who tried his heart out for me. He was pretty confident and offered me a lot. He loved touch it and offered his foot on everything and anything, he was very good at putting feet on things and was able to get all four feet on a railway sleeper and inside a tractor tyre.
I don’t think I realised what I learnt at the ranch just until recently. The course was about doing things excellently – what we should all strive for. How good is your phase one – it should be a whisper (unseen to the untrained eye) and do you really mean it? I truly believe my knowledge has been embedded a whole new deeper level. One thing that really  resonates with me is ‘get in harmony with them, so they can get in harmony with us’ it was Ryan’s mantra and I now feel it is the fundamental of natural horsemanship. This way your horse has the opportunity and the choice to stay connected. If you are interesting and provocative enough your horse won’t want to lose that connection. If you get the mind you will get the feet, this works for everything (online, liberty, freestyle and finesse). 
I know I have heard and read all the qualities of a horseman, the responsibilities and the keys to success but being here really made me UNDERSTAND them and why and how they are the pillars of the Parelli programme. We need to live by these in everything that we do!
While at Pagosa I was lucky enough to watch Ryan and the savvy team give a demonstration at the local show and also a demonstration that the externs had prepared for us. Pat & Caton Parelli also competed in a cutting competition not far away; we got to hear about the Horse Taming in Renno and got to see Linda and her magnificent horses – including West Point, such presence. It’s such a shame things can be taken from us too early but each soul comes to this earth for a reason and West Point has given Linda such tools and experience to help us all.
I was also able to compete in the Parelli games and we got Level 4 for online, liberty & freestyle – boy was I surprised! We got a few other ribbons for the times games which was great fun.


There was so much to see and do, from the mighty bronc (seat builder), to riding past scooch mountain, to having a BBQ and singing along with Pat & Linda at the camp fire, playing volleyball in the arena, to soaking in the hot springs. I was even lucky enough to feed a chimpmunk – they were wild but knew where the food source was. We got to do some trail riding around the ranch, great views.

On top of this I attended the instructor course in the UK. There were around 50 budding 1 and 2 star instructors. Such a great bunch of supportive people – Parelli people really are special. Thankfully I came back with a pass and now I am living the dream as a licensed Parelli Professional.
A big thanks to our mentors Pat & Linda for creating such an amazing programme and to all the instructors that have assisted me in my journey of being the best me and horseperson I can be and showing me the pathway of never ending self-improvement.


Is this your dream?
I truly recommend following your dreams and achieving your goals and you will always be able to say that you lived. If you can think you can, you will - Dream big so you can soar with the eagles – I sure did!
A BIG THANKS TO MY PARTNER IN CRIME …
CABALLERO
 written by Antoinette Archer
Posted by Isabelle Greenfield, Parelli Volunteer Correspondent. Social Media Australia/NZ



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete