Monday, April 4, 2011

The very begining or my first trip to Narnia


Running barefoot in the snow!
I have written a lot about Parelli lately but I have never shared the experience that set me on this wonderful journey.
Imagine yourself in a little picturesque hamlet of  the Yorkshire Dale in England. It is New Year Eve 2009 and we have just arrived to the UK after an exhausting flight from Australia. The snow is gently falling and for us Aussies, it is magic. The children run out bare feet to greet their first snow, there is a fire roaring inside and the jet lag helping, we feel we have landed in Narnia. Now remember, Narnia is the land of the talking beasts!
A visit to the land of Narnia
Shortly after, I spot 4 horses in field and of course I have to go and introduce myself. In the process, I meet their owner, a young woman named Sharon and we start having a horsey chat. The next day, I am invited to come and play with the horses. Never one to turn down an opportunity to spend time with horses, I accept. The following evening, the first day of 2010, we meet at the barn and I have my first surprise. There is a collection of horse toys unknown to me, a green ball catch my eyes along with a few other strange paraphernalia. Coming from a classical background I feel slightly bemused. So, she did mean actually PLAY! I must have looked rather lost and Sharon gives me a few pointers, and end up saying "just focus on what you want the horse to do and you'll get there" So I start experimenting and have my first real conversation with a horse! We spend a perfect hour playing around, under light in the dark snowy winter night, with the horse showing me what he can do and me trying to keep up and not get in his way! I can honestly say that this was the most memorable experience of my entire life. It was the first time I had a real soul to soul connection with a horse and by the end my face was hurting, not only from the intense cold but from grinning beatifically from ear to ear. Knowing what I know now,  it is even more amazing to think that this horse, without knowing me, offered so much. He basically showed me how to play the 7 games!
 While putting the horses to bed, I am bursting with questions and Sharon mention Parelli. She lends me a couple of DVDs which I spend the evening watching. It's a very emotional night, as I discover the depth of my ignorance and grieve for the years lost.
Less than 2 years later,  I play with horses everyday, bought my first horse at the age and work as a volunteer for Parelli, in the capacity of Australian Correspondent. My all life is suffused by the Parelli ethos and there is not one day where I do not count my blessing and feel grateful. I now realise how clever Sharon was in introducing me to Parelli through her horses and let me work it out. I can't help but wondering what would have been my reaction if my first exposure to Parelli had been through a DVD, featuring a cowboy with short chaps?
The magical talking horses.



Volunteer Correspondent
Parelli Social Media, Australia/NZ

No comments:

Post a Comment