Friday, November 18, 2011

Raising the Baar in Oxley, Victoria



I recently had the opportunity to attend the 5 day Raising the Baar in the King Valley’ Parelli Camp at Oxley in Victoria. I like to consider myself fairly easy going but I have to admit to feeling somewhat nervous as I headed off to my first camp with my horse Jazzy – I was thinking on the way - amazing instructors, was I at the right level and of course did I pack enough food? But I thought it’ll be right and turned the music up. 
On day 1 we had introductions and backgrounds from all that attended. After the intro’s we  built up from on the ground with yo yo’s, driving game, squeeze game and saddling, with the emphasis of doing it with “excellence”. I remember thinking these are simple things, but then it hit home that the simple things done with excellence makes the more challenging tasks easier on the human and horse (AKA setting up for success). All these little things like the way you halter, bridle, saddle, mount and dismount...these are not little things at all they are MEGA-MUNGUS. My horse stated looking at me licking and chewing thinking what has happened to my human? It made a massive difference in the way my horse responded and looked at me.
Over the next few days John insisted on maintaining your focus, both on the ground and in the saddle. The problem was all my school reports consistently said Rowan is easily distracted and constantly distracts others. I have worked on this over the years but John had me thinking about it in a different way. No wonder my horse doesn’t walk straight lines, follow the rail as well as I would like. I had little to no focus. Previously Jazzy mainly did what I suggested/asked, but you could always see he had a question. So I started focusing on my focus... My horse had clear direction and could see a change in me therefore less phases and more response.
One of the highlights for me included watching John demonstrate with Jazzy how to overcome an issue I had with his hind legs. We had not been able to lift his back feet since a bad farrier experience from years ago and yet with passive persistence John made what had begun to seem impossible look simple. Within 40 minutes he could increase the intensity by skipping up to Jazzy, lifting his feet and was even able to complete a trim. I have continued with this since the course and it is as if there was never an issue with his hind feet. Although I am already a huge fan of the program it really was a great personal reminder as to why.
Another highlight was seeing other student’s progress over the 5 days, from float loading to the level 3 & 4’s doing flying lead changes.
Of course now I look back and wonder what was there to be worried about?  John & Kathy Baar were amazing, inspiring and supportive - along with local instructors including Kaye Thomas and Fiona Darling. Last but not least the other students  -  I always find Parelli students  to be positive and encouraging of each other in their horsemanship journeys, whatever their discipline.


Rowan Gill

Posted by Isabelle Greenfield, Parelli Volunteer Correspondent, Australia/NZ

No comments:

Post a Comment