Monday, November 7, 2011

A Ride to Remember


  Written by Paisley Walker.
Arriving at the International Savvy Centre in Pagosa Springs, Colorado early July for a twelve week externship, I had to pinch myself! A sentiment I felt many times as I constantly had to remind myself that no, this was not a dream.
I remember Pat saying on ‘The Horseman’s Apprentice’ that this course was not a “twelve week pony party”, which is true. However, whilst there was a considerable amount of hard work involved, no one could deny that the amount of fun we had made this statement sometimes questionable. In our final week Pat explained that his role, and that of his instructors, was to educate, inspire and empower. And for me, these three words capture my experience completely.   

Our group of eighteen was led by Berrin MacFarlane, a 4* Parelli Professional who’s ability to set us all up individually for success, was exceptional. The course was loosely structured around the four savvys, with three weeks devoted to each. Within this though, we were lucky enough to be involved with the numerous other events taking place on campus, including Pat’s ‘Wow with Cows’, Linda’s ‘Game of Contact’, Carol Coppinger’s  ‘2* Instructor Course’ and of course, the SUMMIT!

 Describing an average day at the ranch is difficult, as as you can imagine, there really wasn’t one. However, most mornings began with a turbulent game of soccer to develop our physical, mental and emotional fitness. Onlookers may have winced during our first few weeks on the field, as most of us hadn’t played sports since high school PE and were also adjusting to the high altitude. Yet, by the end we were undeniably World Cup quality.
Following this, the rest of the morning would usually be spent with lessons from Berrin intended to take us to level four and beyond. The style of these lessons varied from being out with our horses, to classroom theory and group simulations. We were also able to make use of the fantastic facilities available; arenas, meadows, round pens and play fields – all with complimentary breathtaking scenery and the odd chipmunk, deer and coyote. 

  Riding Cutie at the Parelli Centre in Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Most afternoons were spent either assisting with ranch maintenance or processing auditions. Then, after a hearty dinner, it was back out with our horses to consolidate the lessons of the day. However, this daily routine was often broken up by the numerous opportunities that presented themselves, such as watching Linda’s lessons’ with Walter Zettl, supporting Pat at a cutting clinic led by George Ferrante and personal development training with Jim Paterson.
The chance to immerse oneself in natural horsemanship for three months and be surrounded by passionate, like minded people is one in a million. I learnt so much that I still find myself processing a lot of the concepts today. Yet, if I had to identify one particular thing that I have taken away from this experience, it is the need to be more provocative and progressive, and I now feel I have the savvy to do this!



2* Instructor Course Graduation
The final week came around far too quickly, and once testing (live auditions in all savvys) was complete it was time for our final reviews. I was so pleased to find out that I had successfully qualified for an internship and that I would be awarded my 2* Parelli Professional status once I had achieved my level four in three savvys!
On our last day dry eyes were scarce and it was very hard to say goodbye to such an extraordinary place and so many exceptional people. Yet, my saving grace was that my trip was not over yet, as I was off to Atwood Ranch as a working student for four weeks!
 


Playing with the babies at Atwood Ranch in Orland, California

Atwood Ranch in Orland, California is a very special place, and it was a privilege to get
to spend time there. Working alongside the horse health and development team, including Jessica Coyle (a fellow Western Australian!) and Parelli Professional Jeanie Shepherd, I was able to help with daily horse care and training. Jake Shoemark currently heads the horse development program at Atwood, and to be able to assist him and play with some of the young horses and ranch geldings was an incredible opportunity. It really was the perfect environment to put the theory I had learnt at the Parelli centre into practice.
Some personal highlights include putting the first six rides on a young horse with Jake’s guidance, weekly lessons with the Atwood staff from Helen Topp and getting to hang out with the star, Magic, who is currently at the ranch. Leaving Atwood was REALLY hard, but I was also eager to go home and play with my levels horse Phoenix and young warmblood, Aspen. 


One of my favorite Atwood horses, Dynamo.


Returning home was quite surreal, but I am very excited about the future. My goals now include getting my level four, setting myself up as Parelli Professional and returning to the states as an intern. I am very grateful to the team at Atwood and all those who supported me over the last four months. I encourage anyone considering this path to take the ride, enjoy the journey and live the dream!  

Paisley Walker
paisleypnh@gmail.com
 

Posted by Isabelle Greenfield, Parelli Volunteer Correspondent, Australia-NZ
 

No comments:

Post a Comment