Monday, November 21, 2011

The Savvy As Team – Alice Springs, Australia


Written by Telisha Kotzur

In the centre of our great country, there is a town called Alice – well, Alice Springs to be exact. And in this town is a dedicated group of Parelli students who call themselves the Savvy As Team. They gather frequently for play days where they share knowledge, support each other’s horsemanship goals and ride out into the wonderful desert landscape. Telisha Kotzur is a member of the Savvy As Team and here she shares her experiences with this dedicated group of Parelli students. Sharon Parbery, Regional Correspondent – Australia/NZ (volunteer)

This is Telisha’s story:

I have lived in Alice Springs for just over two years and I have had horses for more than ten years. I played polocrosse and competed in Darwin for five years, spent a year as a track rider in Victoria riding race horses and I have done a lot of trail riding. Horses are my passion!

Parelli Natural Horsemanship became part of my life at the start of this year. I had always heard a lot of stories about Parelli because my aunt had been very involved in it for a few years and she always shared her stories about the things she could do with her Friesian mare. I was really amazed at it all and wanted to get more involved, I just didn't know how.

Telisha and her horse at a Savvy As play day

It all started when I went to buy some horse feed and I noticed a flyer advertising a Parelli clinic that was going to be held in Alice Springs. It was a total shock to me that out in the middle of the desert there was a group of ladies doing Parelli. It got me very excited and I rang up Alison McCleary straight away and organised a time to come down to join in on a few of the fun days before the clinic started, to get myself savvy to the ways of Parelli. The Savvy As team were fantastic and they taught me the basics of it all before the clinic started.

When the clinic came around, it was an absolute blast! I had my own horse there and Rob McAuliffe, the Parelli instructor, was just fantastic. My horse and I learnt so much and it made me become a lot more aware of things that I had done by habit that really were affecting my horse’s behaviour. It really changed my ways and helped me with understanding my horse in a more natural way. It is amazing, especially when you can notice the change in your horse!

Rob McAuliffe's clinic in the outback

We had another clinic in August and that was also so beneficial to both me and my horse. We learnt a lot more about finesse, liberty and understanding the concept of ‘feel of, feel for and feel together’. The seven games are such a great tool to know as well. I believe the horses really enjoy the games and it gets their minds thinking.

The Savvy As group is an amazing bunch of ladies who are so committed to learning more and teaching people and horses about Parelli Natural Horsemanship. Without them, and their commitment, there would not be a Savvy As team in Alice Springs.

Some of the Savvy As team riding out

Since the clinics, I have not looked back. I love everything about Parelli. It has been a really big eye opener to understanding horse language. There is so much to know about these amazing and majestic creatures and Pat Parelli has discovered a secret that every horse owner should take hold of and learn more about because it is priceless to have a real relationship with your own horse and to understand them at their level; not to become predators to our beloved friends, but to become partners for life!
It's the savvy way!

Telisha Kotzur






Posted by Sharon Parbery, Regional Correspondent – Australia/NZ (volunteer)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete